Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Thursday Thirteen #1 - Movies That Are Guilty Pleasures

Guilty Pleasure films are those movies that you like but couldn't recommend to anyone else. In my case, a number of these films are sentimental because I enjoyed them as a child. The others just fit in with my quirky personality. Please don't judge me too harshly. The following are in no particular order.





1. "Grizzly" - "Jaws" was way too terrifying for me, but this Jaws rip-off was just my speed. Besides, how could I resist a movie with a tagline like "18 Feet of Gut-Crunching, Man-Eating Terror".





2. "The Land That Time Forgot" - Doug MacLure at his best. The effects were ambitious but bad. It (and it's sequel "The People That Time Forgot")had a great sense of fun and adventure.








3. "The Car" - You know that they're going to use "It's Hell on Wheels" for the tagline. For my money, "The Car" was more entertaining than "Christine" - the other possessed car movie.








4. "Tideland" - I don't know who I'd recommend this recent release to except Terry Gilliam compleatists . Jodelle Ferland's performance is fabulous. She carries the film on her shoulders with ease.








5. "The Ninth Configuration" - Most people that I know who have seen this have said "What?" The philosphical debate about science versus God is played out behind the walls of an insane asylum. It is quite funny. Directed by William Peter Blatty.








6. "The Exorcist III" - Not as good as "The Exorcist" but hey what is. Similiar in tone to "The Ninth Configuration" (more thought provoking then scary). Directed by William Peter Blatty, based on his book "Legion".








7. "Silent Hill" - My wife rolled her eyes. My friends look at me like I've lost it. I don't care that there are plot holes or some bad acting. I like the movie; so there! End of story.








8. "Ice Pirates" - This movie is so juvenile that I'm embarrassed to let anyone know. Oh well, I made the rules - I've got to live with it.









9. "Critters" (and "Critters 2") - These movies have people being terrorized by spikey hand puppets who turn themselves into speedy tumbleweeds. Fun, yes?








10. "Galaxy of Terror" - I walked out the first time I went to see it. As it turned out I walked out too early. This movie is real bad but in an "it's so bad it's good" way.








11. "Airport '75" - This is the only "Airport" film that used actual airplanes instead of models. For some reason the mixture of aeriel footage along with cheesy acting is perfect for me.








12. "The Untold Story" -This film had one of the most violent scenes I that I've ever seen on film. This isn't a recommendation; it's a warning. Don't watch this one unless you want to be disturbed. Anthony Wong, who won the equivelent of the best actor Oscar in Hong Kong, is the only reason to recommend this flick.








13. "Meet the Feebles" - An adult "The Muppet Show". Directed by Peter Jackson of "Lord of the Rings" Trilogy fame. 'Nuf said!

10 comments:

Julia Phillips Smith said...

Love the "Grizzly" and "The Car" tag lines!

"Ninth Configuration" was really good. I liked "Airport 75" when I was in junior high and could go without adult supervision to the theatre.

Fun TT!

Angela/SciFiChick said...

I don't think I've heard of half of these. But then, I'm not really into horror..

Kelly Boyce said...

I'm STILL recovering from Jaws. Julia is well versed in my shark-o-phobia. Yet oddly, I found myself giggling through the Exorcist. I'm not sure what that says about me...

Anonymous said...

I have to really sit and think what my "guilty pleasures" movies are. I know I've got some -- just have to figure them out.

I guess "Space Balls" would be one of them!

Devon Ellington
Ink in My Coffee
http://devonellington.wordpress.com

Brad S. said...

Hey SciFiChick - Don't worry about not knowing many. I'm just showing my age. Most of the movies are from the '70's - earlier '80's.

Kelly - I can't swim, I have a fear of drowning (sometimes I even have panic attacks in the shower)and the thought of bobbing around not knowing what's beneath you, waiting to bite, freaks me out. And that frigging cello music drove me crazy too. When ever it started up, I ran for the lobby.

But Kelly, you giggled during "The Exorcist". Geez, you're a braver one than I am, Gunga Din!

Devon - It took me two weeks to compile Thirteen Guilty Plesures and it was hard (because generally I have good taste :)).

By the way, my wife loves "Space Balls" and we are both Mel Brooks fans ("The Producers" And "Young Frankenstein" being the best). So your Guilty Pleasure fits in to our A-okay file.

Brad S. said...

Julia - Do you remember how the blood in "Airport '75 was orange. It was like they got a deal on orange paint from Home Hardware.

Thanks for dropping by, Hon!

Anonymous said...

See, I started to wonder why I didn't recognize any of these movies. Then I realized they are all horror/suspense. I did, however, see Jaws. My uncle thought it would be funny. It was on TV and he made me sit and watch it. Explains why I don't swim in water if I can't see my feet.

Anonymous said...

Great list of guilty pleasures! I've always thought of guilty pleasures as movies that I should be embarrased for liking, but I'm not. "Pure Country" falls into that category for me. I really am not a fan of country music, or George Strait, but for some reason I love that movie. :)

Brad S. said...

Welcome Jenny! What you said about "Guilty Pleasures" is right. I really should have the strength of my convictions about any movie I like.

I'm not much of a country fan either, but I'll keep my eye out for "Pure Country".

Anonymous said...

LOL I've never heard of, let alone seen, most of these movies. Nor did I ever see Jaws. I grew up by the ocean, so I knew that would have seriously killed my desire to ever swim in it again. :-)

Movies I do like are quirky ones or ones that are a little offbeat. Love all the Coen Brothers movies. I think my husband and I have seen Raising Arizona at least 5 times.